By Karin Wilkins
Case experiences of micro-enterprise, ladies' schooling, and inhabitants courses recommend that our discourse limits our capability to conceive of improvement, verbal exchange, and gender outdoor of neoliberal ideologies. Advocacy for worldwide social justice calls for a special responsibility via serious examine.
Read or Download Communicating Gender and Advocating Accountability in Global Development PDF
Best feminist theory books
This richly woven historical past levels from the 17th century to the current because it masterfully strains the circulation of yankee ladies out of the house and into the general public sphere. Matthews examines the innovative warfare interval, while ladies exercised political energy in the course of the boycott of family items and Elizabeth Freeman effectively sued for freedom from enslavement in a single of the 2 circumstances that ended slavery in Massachusetts.
An available advent to postmodernism, feminist concept and Islamic fundamentalism, this ebook is a hugely arguable intervention into the talk on postmodernism and feminism which appears at what occurs once they are together hired to light up the sexual politics of Islam. the writer describes the increase of Islamic fundamentalism and the West's reaction to it.
Womens Liberation and the chic is a passionate document at the kingdom of feminist considering and perform after the linguistic flip. A severe evaluate of masculinist notions of the elegant in glossy and postmodern debts grounds the author's confident and confident restoration of elegant event in a feminist voice.
Nellie Dowell used to be a fit manufacturing unit lady in Victorian London who spent her early years consigned to orphanages and hospitals. Muriel Lester, the daughter of a filthy rich shipbuilder, longed to be freed from the load of cash and possessions. jointly, those not likely soulmates sought to remake the realm in accordance with their very own utopian imaginative and prescient of Christ’s teachings.
- Beyond Comparison: Sex and Discrimination (Cambridge Studies in Philosophy and Law)
- Relational Autonomy: Feminist Perspectives on Autonomy, Agency, and the Social Self
- Modernizing Women: Gender and Social Change in the Middle East (Women & Change in the Developing World)
- Who Stole Feminism?: How Women Have Betrayed Women
- Issues in Philosophy: An Introduction, 2nd Edition
Additional info for Communicating Gender and Advocating Accountability in Global Development
Against the dominant neoliberal attention to women as individuals, Jaggar supports women’s activist movements’ work to promote the right to education, employment, and health services. The problem with the assertion of individual empowerment within the neoliberal paradigm is that poor women are then blamed for their circumstances, rather than understanding the broader economic environment in which one loan may require several others to pay off, or the social world in which domestic violence increases with women’s participation in microenterprise.
New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Kang, H. R. (2008). Transnational women’s collectivities and global justice. Journal of Social Philosophy, 39(3), pp. 359–377. Knaute, M. (2014). A growing sector: microﬁnance opens the way towards ﬁnancial inclusion. Microﬁnance Barometer 2014/Convergences (p. 2). Paris: Chevillon Imprimeur. , van Lieshout, P. & Went, R. (2009). Doing Good or Doing Better : Development Policies in a Globalizing World. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. Kristoff, N. & WuDunn, S.
3) This critical work contributes to research agendas that highlight the politics of development discourse (Escobar, 1995), attempting to problematize more monolithic articulations of social change. In relation to development, feminist scholars raise concerns with the lack of attention to gender, an oversimpliﬁcation of women’s interests, as well as an objectiﬁcation of women as victims of circumstance. , 2000; Meyer & Prügl, 1999; Mohanty, 1991b). Peterson (2005) connects this objectiﬁcation of women, as opposed to constructions of them as strong, independent, competent agents, within globalizing economies in which geopolitical elites govern in their own interests.