By Roland Kaunas, Assaf Zemel
Explores more than a few Multiscale Biomechanics/Mechanobiology Concepts
Cell and Matrix Mechanics presents state of the art learn on the molecular, mobile, and tissue degrees within the box of cellphone mechanics. This booklet comprises key specialists within the box, and covers the most important parts of mobile and tissue mechanics, with an emphasis at the roles of mechanical forces in cell–matrix interactions. offering fabric in each one bankruptcy that builds at the earlier chapters, it successfully integrates size scales and includes, for every size scale, key experimental observations and corresponding quantitative theoretical types.
Summarizes the 3 Hierarchical degrees of mobile Mechanics
The e-book comprises 14 chapters and is geared up into 3 sections. the 1st part makes a speciality of the molecular point, the second one part information mechanics on the mobile point, and the 3rd part explores mobile mechanics on the tissue point. The authors supply an intensive description of the jobs of mechanical forces in cellphone and tissue biology, and comprise particular examples. They include descriptions of linked theoretical versions, and supply the information and modeling framework wanted for a multi-scale research. additionally, they spotlight the pioneering experiences in cell–matrix mechanics via Albert ok. Harris.
The subject matters lined include:
- The passive and energetic mechanical houses of cytoskeletal polymers and linked motor proteins in addition to the habit of polymer networks
- The mechanical homes of the mobile membrane, with an emphasis on membrane protein activation brought on by membrane forces
- The hierarchical association of collagen fibrils, revealing soft stability exists among particular and nonspecific interactions to lead to a constitution with semicrystalline order in addition to unfastened associations
- The roles of matrix mechanical houses on phone adhesion and serve as in addition to varied mechanical mechanisms of cell–cell interactions
- The results of mechanical loading on mobilephone cytoskeletal home improvement, summarizing quite a few modeling ways that designate attainable mechanisms regulating the alignment of actin tension fibers according to stretching
- The mechanical trying out of cell-populated collagen matrices, besides conception referring to the passive and energetic mechanical homes of the engineered tissues
- Cell migration habit in 3D matrices and in collective mobile motility
- The position of mechanics in cartilage development
- The roles of either mobile and exterior forces on tissue morphogenesis
- The roles of mechanical forces on tumor progress and melanoma metastasis
Cell and Matrix Mechanics succinctly and systematically explains the jobs of mechanical forces in cell–matrix biology. Practitioners and researchers in engineering and physics, in addition to graduate scholars in biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering concerning mechanobiology, can reap the benefits of this paintings.
Read Online or Download Cell and matrix mechanics PDF
Similar biomedical engineering books
The layout and creation of novel peptides and proteins occupy pivotal positions in technological know-how and expertise and may proceed to take action within the twenty first century. Protein Engineering and layout outlines the quick advances in computer-based modeling, protein engineering, and techniques wanted for protein and peptide practise and characterization.
With sixty years of mixed adventure, the authors of this widely revised e-book have discovered to stress the basic fabrics technology, structure-property relationships, and organic responses as a origin for a wide range of biomaterials purposes. This version incorporates a new bankruptcy on tissue engineering and regenerative medication, nearly 1900 references to extra interpreting, broad instructional fabrics on new advancements in spinal implants and fixation concepts and idea.
Biomateriomics is the holistic research of organic fabric platforms. whereas such platforms are certainly complicated, we regularly come upon comparable elements -- common development blocks and hierarchical constitution motifs -- which lead to a various set of functionalities. just like the way in which track or language arises from a constrained set of song notes and phrases, we take advantage of the relationships among shape and serve as in a significant approach via spotting the similarities among Beethoven and bone, or Shakespeare and silk.
Experimental tools in Orthopaedic Biomechanics is the 1st booklet within the box that specializes in the practicalities of appearing a wide number of in-vitro laboratory experiments. causes are thorough, informative, and have common lab apparatus to permit biomedical engineers to enhance from a ‘trial and blunder’ method of an effective process advised via skilled leaders.
- The Biomedical Engineering Handbook, Third Edition: Biomedical Engineering Fundamentals
- Essentials of 3D Biofabrication and Translation
- Bioprocess Engineering. An Introductory Engineering and Life Science Approach, 1st Edition
- Bioresorbable Polymers for Biomedical Applications: From Fundamentals to Translational Medicine (Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials)
- Transporters in Drug Discovery and Development: Detailed Concepts and Best Practice (Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomedicine)
Extra info for Cell and matrix mechanics
2008. The role of filament-packing dynamics in powering amoeboid cell motility. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105 (14) (April): 5390–5395. 0708416105. Miao, L, O Vanderlinde, M Stewart, and T M Roberts. 2003. Retraction in amoeboid cell motility powered by cytoskeletal dynamics. Science 302 (5649) (January 21): 1405–1407. 1089129. Middeldorp, J and E M Hol. 2011. GFAP in health and disease. Progress in Neurobiology 93 (3) (March): 421–443. 005. Mitchison, T J.
1992. An ATPase domain common to prokaryotic cell cycle proteins, sugar kinases, actin, and Hsp70 heat shock proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 89 (16) (August 15): 7290–7294. Bowne-Anderson, H, M Zanic, M Kauer, and J Howard. 2013. Microtubule dynamic instability: A new model with coupled GTP hydrolysis and multistep catastrophe. BioEssays 35 (5) (March 27): 452–461. 201200131. Brangwynne, C P, F C MacKintosh, S Kumar, N A Geisse, J Talbot, L Mahadevan, K K Parker, D E Ingber, and D A Weitz.
The molecular requirements for cytokinesis. Science 307 (5716) (March 18): 1735– 1739. 1096896. Goldmann, W H and G Isenberg. 1993. Analysis of filamin and Α-actinin binding to actin by the stopped flow method. FEBS Letters 336 (3) (December): 408–410. 1016/ 0014-5793(93)80847-N. Goodson, H V, S J Kang, and S A Endow. 1994. Molecular phylogeny of the kinesin family of microtubule motor proteins. Journal of Cell Science 107 (7) (January 1): 1875–1884. Graf, H and H Löwen. 1999. Phase diagram of tobacco mosaic virus solutions.